Friday, January 7, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Let me began with saying I'm sorry if the photo isn't very clear. I made this soup for my family soon after returning from Christmas. As I'm sure you can tell from this photo I didn't use my regular camera, but in fact used my phone to take this shot. Just so you know I did spend some time running around the house frantic trying to locate it amongst the piles of stuff that still needed to be sorted from the car! Huge sigh. I later found it in the one place I thought I had checked in the beginning …my handbag.

Well, this recipe comes from Stacey. A woman I've been privileged to get to know a little bit over the last few months through my small Bible study group (or aka small group). She made this yummy soup for our Christmas party last month and all the girls including myself were just raving about it. What's nice about this recipe is that you get to choose as much or as little kick as you can handle.

Oh by the way my hope and plan for January is to provide you with a month of delicious soups. We shall see where this leads the both of us!



Ingredients 

1.5 lbs chicken
1 can black beans, drained
1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes
1 can 16 oz tomato sauce
1 can Delmonte corn, Italian flavoring (garlic, oregano)
2 cans Hominy Beans ( can be found in the corn aisle at the grocery store)
1 can red kidney beans
1 can chicken broth (either 8 oz or 16 oz. - if you use the 16 oz, drain the corn and Hominy beans)
1 pkg Ranch Dip seasoning
1 pkg Mexican Taco Mix (original)
Chili Pepper (whatever amount you prefer)
Red Pepper (whatever amount you prefer)


Directions

1.) Cut up the chicken into small pieces, leave raw.
2.) Dump everything into a big pot including the chicken.
3.) Turn on medium heat.
4.) Stir occasionally.
5.) Once chicken is cooked, it'll be about done. 
6.) Keep it on low or simmer until you serve.
7.) Preparation - tear up tortillas and drop in the bowl, add cheese and sour cream. 

This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker 6-8 depending on heat

1 comment:

Katy said...

This sounds so good! I'm always trying new soups and most of them aren't 'wow'. I'm excited to give this a try!