Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup

Well, as many of you already know the South has gone through an entire visual transformation in the last week. Most of us in the area have been confined to our homes due to snow that turned into ice and keeps melting then refreezing every night. This snow haven wonderland has been a dream come true for my two little boys whom can't wait to go out every day and roll around in the fluffy white stuff...which is now crunchy white stuff. In any case they have definitely made the most of it and now Mama is ready for it to go away! Let's just say there is a reason why I moved down here. To me South = clear roads! Don't get me wrong I love experiencing the snow every year just as much as the next guy or gal, but only for a week or so and I'm done! It's been almost a week... 

A few years ago in late March on a flight back home while we were waiting to exit a plane. I told my husband I didn't know what we were going to do about driving the rental car because I honestly couldn't remember how to drive in winter weather.  The lady behind us was just getting back from her vacation in Florida (where we happened to live at the time) said “oh boy I wish I could say I didn't remember how to drive in this stuff" pointing to the little window on plane. “That is a dream of mine"! We all had a good laugh over that one.

So, back to the Chicken Noodle Soup. I made this the other night after my oldest went sledding with the baby pool. What? We use what we can down here in GA. Anyway since we were snowed in I just through what I had on hand in a pot and here it is!

Ingredients

  • 8 oz of macaroni noodles
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 8 cups chicken broth ( 1 low sodium 1 reg carton)
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1  cup carrots
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 cups diced, cooked chicken meat

Directions

  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add  noodles and oil, and boil for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and rinse under cool running water.
  2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine broth, salt, and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in carrots, peas, and onion. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
  3. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water together until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gradually add to soup, stirring constantly. Stir in noodles and chicken, and heat through.  For storage purposes I always keep my noodles separate from the soup and just add noodles as we need it.  Also make sure to bring poultry seasoning to the table when serving the soup the first time. You will need to add a little in your bowl as desired. This soup is even better the second day!

No comments: