Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cajun Seafood Pasta

A few years back my husband and I started a new tradition of having seafood on Christmas Eve. I have had a number of friends that were Italian and made the traditional Seven Seas dishes. After spending countless hours researching recipes I  could never find anything that attracted me enough to want to make it. So,  since neither myself or my husband are Italian I didn't feel the need to stay true to the traditional recipes. Instead we decided to have Lobster as our main course and try different sides or other dishes to go with it.  Our reason for lobster fell into two categories one it is a real treat and almost a delicacy for us and two it is always on sale around the holidays. So in search of something that would complement the lobster perfectly I found this recipe for Cajun Seafood Pasta. It has a little bit of a kick hence the name but I've halved the pepper from the original, but if you prefer less of a kick then go ahead and half it again. You can always add more pepper at the table.
 One sweet little fact I learned later after sharing with my Grandmother that my husband and I had started this new tradition was that she and my Grandfather used to make lobster together every New Years Day. I believe even up until the year he passed on. It brings me so much warmth and joy to know that even though this has become a newer tradition for my husband and me it is a tradition we have carried on during the holiday season from my Grandparents.


Ingredients

  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 pound  of bay scallops
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta

Directions

  1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
  2. Meanwhile, pour cream into large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just about boiling. Reduce heat, and add herbs, salt, peppers, onions, and parsley. Simmer 7 to 8 minutes, or until thickened.
  3. Stir in seafood, cooking until shrimp is no longer transparent. Stir in cheeses, blending well.
  4. Drain pasta. Serve sauce over noodles.

No comments: