Friday, December 17, 2010

Frosted Christmas Cut-Out Cookies

This cookie recipe is very special to me because I've been making it for my cookie party's for many years now. So, as you can imagine I’ve been creating and tweaking this recipe for just as long.  As the story goes it all began during my childhood when one of my Aunts would bring decorated Christmas cookies to our family's Christmas celebration. A few days beforehand she would get together with her sister in laws and they would bake up a storm. I just loved that they did this and 6 years ago I decided to make it an annual event with my friends. The party changes from year to year with the guests sometimes woman and other times children. Once I made them with my sister and a friend of my husband’s for our Baby Shower. My husband at the time was hanging decorations from the ceiling. Shocking as it may be he is not the biggest cookie decorating fan. In any case this has become one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I love it how gives such a wonderful time of fellowship among friends. One of the feisty parts of decorating is how we all get a little competitive, but it's always in good fun with plenty of laughs to go around. Of course the very best part is that we have yummy frosted cookies to take home!

Ingredients


Cookies

1 egg
1c of butter
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2  tsp baking powder
dash salt
3 c. flour


Frosting

1 c. butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2 c. milk
3 2/3 c. powdered sugar


Directions
  1. Mix together one at a time egg, butter, sugar, then mix in together baking powder, vanilla and salt. Once mixed add flour a cup at a time.
  2. Refrigerate dough for an hour. When ready roll out in between two pieces of parchment paper or tin foil . If using tin foil  spray the two inside pieces with canola oil for easier roll-out.  Bake at 350 degree F for 7-9 minutes (watch carefully). Once cooled decorate 
  3. To Make Frosting: Mix butter, vanilla ,milk and powdered sugar(to desired consistency), Once frosting is ready add food coloring. Makes between 2-3 dozen cookies

No comments: