Friday, April 15, 2011

Grandma's White Bread/Buns

As I write this post I'm reminded by how warm, flaky and delicious this bread is. Growing up, my other Grandmother (Mom’s mom) was almost always making bread. Her timing was perfect. I recall so many times her freshly made bread was done at the moment of our arrival to her little brick home on Iowa St. What is it about bread that makes it have such amazing comforting powers? A few years ago I remember sharing with my mother in law that I was making this bread. She shared with me a story of when she and her then young family lived overseas and how she would make bread weekly for her neighbors. Oh how I would have loved to be one of those neighbors! Another memory of bread, well honestly it was more like the lack of. You see I was just a few weeks away from my wedding day and had gone on a no bread diet until after the wedding to ensure the dress would fit. Well, I was being really good and a number of friends of my husband-to-be came up with the idea that we should go to a restaurant that is well known for their yummy warm rolls that they toss to you. Well, I decided to still be good and even refused to catch one, and ordered a salad... So I was stunned when they brought out my salad in the largest bread bowl on the planet!! When I say largest I mean it! It was the size of large mans cowboy hat! I just starred at that thing and kept saying, really? Come on really? What cruelty! Let's just say everyone had a good laugh.



Ingredients
  • 2 cups. scalded milk
  • 1/2 cup. sugar
  • 1  stick butter
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbs. dry yeast (2pkgs.)
  • 1/4 cup. lukewarm water
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 7 to 8 cups flour
Directions
Add sugar, butter and salt to hot milk. Cool till lukewarm. Mix yeast, water, and sugar (if yeast is good, this mixture will foam). Add to milk mixture. Add eggs and mix on low speed with mixer until well blended. Add flour 2 cups at a time and mix dough until no longer sticky. Knead with mixer about 8 min or by hand about 10-15min. For buns: Break off a small piece, make into a ball, cover and let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 for 20-30 min, until nicely browned. Makes 4 dozen buns. For bread: Shape into 2 loaves. Cover and let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 for about 30 min, until nicely browned. From one of my Grandmother's Cookbooks

No comments: