Friday, April 1, 2011

Grandma's Rhubarb Custard Pie


If you’re so fortunate as to be related and live near my Grandmother, this time of year will have great meaning for you. It’s when, what I affectionately call, “THE LIST" comes out. Every year for many, many years now, my Grandmother has grown her own rhubarb. From the first stalk to the last, all season long she makes pies, and pies and pies. I have since moved away, as you all know, but every year when the birds come back, everything is green again, and the days begin to grow warmer, I long for my Grandmother's Rhubarb pies. So, of course this just means, like you, I must make it myself. Hey, I think we all could use getting our hands dirty a little bit or maybe I might be able to convince Grandma this year to mail me some of her fresh Rhubarb...will see.


Original Recipe Yield 1 pie

Ingredients

  • 1 package (2 pieces) prepared piecrust
  • 3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  2. Pour boiling water over rhubarb. Let stand 10 min and drain.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine, sugar, flour, eggs,and cream. Mix well, then stir in rhubarb. .
  4. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with top crust and bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Ya know... I think my mom made rhubarb pie a looooong time ago. I remember thinking it looked like celery and I was like ummm I don't think that is going to be good. But cooked with some sugar it is pretty tasty! I will have to try this. I'll be looking for rhubarb on my next grocery shopping day. :o) latas!