Friday, April 16, 2010

Tilipia and Mushroom Pilaf with Japanese Gingered Veggies

Well, let me start off with I went to the store today,but it's not what you think! I went to get some more herbs to plant in pots ( just so you know I won't even be able to use them for awhile). I thought it would be fun to get a few flowers and herbs with a little of all the money I saved this week!

Anyway, last nights meal really cracks me up! I think I'd better at least try to explain why Chili Tilapia sounded like an Asian main dish! Even though I really have know idea where that came from! Ok, come on now think out about it... it's a little funny. Even writing this I'm shaking my head. We had Tilapia that tasted as if it was south of the border with veggies that were from the Far East! To my defense I haven't had that kind of seasoned Tilapia in almost 2 years. All of this might have started after I reading a friends blog who had lots of great photos of their recent trip to China. Well, the fish was from Trader Joe's and was preseasoned . Most of the time I would rather add the seasons myself, but every once in awhile it's nice to have someone else do it. I consider this "Half a Takeout Night". Since I didn't season the fish I will only share that I think baking Tilapia at 375 covered with tinfoil for 10-20 min depending on the thickness  is ideal. Keep in mind though every oven is different and to check it after 8min every few min. A another really fantastic way to cook tilapia is in a skillet on your stove top.



Mushroom Pilaf


Ingredients

21/2 - 3 tsp butter
1/2 c. long grain rice
1/4 c. orzo pasta
1/2 fresh mushrooms ( I used frozen mushrooms. Yes, that's right frozen)!
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 chopped celery
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2 Tbs fresh parsley ( I added a 2 tsp of dry parsley not equivalent but you can't go wrong with parsley)
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 c. chopped toasted hazelnuts ( I used a 2 Tbs of walnuts and through in 1/4 c of frozen corn)


Directions


1.Place a large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt butter, then saute rice, orzo, mushrooms, onion, and celery. Stir constantly until rice is lightly browned.
2.Mix in chicken broth, parsley, marjoram, pepper, and hazelnuts. Bring to a boil until liquid is cut down to less than half, then reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and allow to simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and now you have 2 options pressed for time and there is still water crank up the heat and stir continuously or let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Fabulous with chicken and herbs!


Japanese Gingered Veggies


1-1 1/2 cups or a small skillet full of Japanese frozen veggies
a few splashes of soy sauce or start with 1-2 tsp
1/4 -1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ground ginger

I made this on the stove top but I'm sure the microwave would be fine if you needed to

No comments: