Friday, November 12, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

Cool crisp nights, little ones tucked into bed and curled up with my honey on the couch. As he (my husband) makes a comment on how silly my socks are. I have this love for fluffy fuzzy socks and yes some of them even may have a cute animal or two on them. I have to say my Grandmother was the one that got me hooked on those irresistible socks as a kid. She would always pick out the most perfect socks for every season. It wasn't uncommon to find a pair in your Easter basket, Valentines package, or even your Christmas box. Oh and when I was really small she sold Avon.  I remember how she had cabinets just full of bubble bath, make up and jewelry. She always loved to give my sister and I those little plastic kids necklaces (which we cherished). To tell you the truth both of my Grandmothers sold Avon for a while. I remember one Easter receiving the same little sheep faux pearl necklace from both of them. It was the first time in my life I had to handle a situation like that and I did what all good little girls do...I turned to my Mother to rescue me. She was very quick with a response and encouraged me to tell her how pretty it was and thank my Grandmother for being so kind, generous and for her thoughtfulness. You see my Mother always taught me to be thankful for what I was given, but that I never had to keep anything that I did not want, like or need because there is always someone else who is in great need or will absolutely love the object. In this story it was my little sister who wore that necklace everyday for almost a year. I hope this little story touched your heart and I hope it reminds you of fond memories of your family. This recipe might not have come from one of my Grandmothers but it defiantly makes me feel like I am at Grandma's house when I make it. Enjoy


Ingredients

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 1 (14 ounce) can of chicken broth
  • 3/4 tsp of poultry seasonings
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces
  • wide egg noodles (if desired)

 Directions

  1. Place the chicken, butter, soup , onion,chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a slow cooker.
  2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 45-1 hr and a half before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.
  3. Boil noodles 20 min before ready to eat( if desired)

No comments: