Thursday, July 1, 2010

Grandma Ople's Apple Pie

What's more perfect than Apple Pie on the 4th of July! It's funny I can't remember if it was my Father who said that or  if I heard it from a movie. One phrase I remember my Father saying over and over again as a child was that the corn should be knee high by the 4th of July! One of my favorite memories from childhood is the Wisconsin Summer nights that were always comfortable. The temperature would decrease ever so slightly and there was a light scent of fresh cut grass and hamburgers on a grill in the air. As a teen I would come home and  unwind by sitting on the front steps all while taking in the joys of Summer. We lived on top of a hill and I could  look down at the valley below us. I remember there being another large hill on the other side of that valley that sat the most perfect tree I think ever seen. Completely secluded from any roads and surrounded  by a corn field. I loved how the evening sun would dance across that sweet little valley. For just a moment in time life would slow to a pleasant and peaceful bliss. Those nights were so refreshing for the soul. I hope this story helps you to  recaptures your own fond  memories of your childhood over of course a nice slice of Apple Pie.




Ingredients

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft. Allrecipes recipe with Publix Premium French Vanilla Ice cream

1 comment:

Katie Leipprandt said...

Mmm! I'm licking my lips just reading this!