Saturday, May 8, 2010

New York Cheesecake

Two days ago I made the second real cheesecake in my life !!So, I thought I would share with you my experience . I did a lot a of research trying to find the best recipe with the most rave reviews. Finally I found one that was apparently foul proof. Yet I couldn't help myself and panic pretty much all the way through. One of the requirements for it not to crack is not to over beat. So I was convinced I would over beat  and then it would be a flop. At one point I had to leave the house and have faith that my husband would turn off the oven while I was away. It was sooo hard ,but he came through and here's the most beautiful and I have to say delicious cheesecake. What? I can be a little proud  can't I?!



Ingredients

  • 15 graham crackers, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  •  
  • 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS ARE AROUND ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE YOU START!!

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.
  • In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
          Wrap your springform pan with 2 layers of aluminum foil to prevent water in the water bath from seeping in. Then I placed it in a broiler pan .
  • In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth.  With a wooden spoon (or spatchula )blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until nice and  smooth. There may still be little  tiny peices of cream cheese not fully mixed in thats ok. If you feel you need to give it a nice quick mix with the mix at the very end go ahead , but if you go to long it could crack. Pour filling into prepared crust in springform pan and then add 1 inch of hot water around the foil wrapped springform pan. Then place in oven.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour exactly with no peeking!! Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the DOOR CLOSED for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking.  Don't even  take a peek unless your just looking through the window with the oven light on.Chill in refrigerator until serving.

No comments: